Saturday, December 5, 2009

How does Benzoyl Peroxide work, and why is it so murderous to my skin?

I am 16 and have been applying 10% Benzoyl Peroxide every night (after washing with Neutrogena Gentle Facial Cleanser) for just over a week now. After switching from sporradic Salicylic Acid use to BP, I responded well and quickly initially, and even had one day without acne... Now, however, it's just a bit better than it was before I began the treatment. The problem, however, is that my skin (especially my chin and cheeks) is now constantly horribly dry and flaky, though I apply a light moisturizer at least five times per day.





Any explanations about how BP works or suggestions about what to do for this condition... Should I stop or continue with the BP? I have mild to moderate acne and would love to be at least partially clear and not flaky by the time school begins in a week. Thanks a ton for any suggestions you can offer! =)How does Benzoyl Peroxide work, and why is it so murderous to my skin?
Benzoyl Peroxide is basically removing the top layer of your skin, which also reduces your skin's ability to protect itself from the sun. That's not something you should be doing every day. Perhaps every week if you really must but you're going to badly age your skin and make yourself more susceptable to getting sunburn.





Use one of the facial scrub type products that remove dead cells from your skin non-chemically, but only once a week, and leave out the chemicals. Use a moisturiser and something with a little sun protection factor each day, a facial scrub once in a while and your skin will look lovely :-)How does Benzoyl Peroxide work, and why is it so murderous to my skin?
use apricot facial scrub from st ives. you can get it at wal-mart for like $4. it has little rocks or something in it that digs the acne out. good luck!! p.s. works good for me.
Benzoyl peroxide should not be used on large areas. I use it. Only a little bit on the actual pimple. It dries the skin out severely. Unless, of course, you can find a really good facial moisturizer that counter acts the drying effect. I believe they do sell BP in a lower concentration, like 3 or 5%, maybe give that a try instead. The one you're using sounds like it is too strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
military loans