Thursday, June 24, 2010

Is it possible to be allergic to benzoyl peroxide?

i have acne that i want to get rid off. i have tried almost every acne fighting product there is. even proactiv. nothing works. also i think i may be allergic to products that have benzoyl peroxide because it causes the skin on my face to peel. what can i do/use to get rid of acne? plz help! thank you.Is it possible to be allergic to benzoyl peroxide?
You are probalby not allergic to it. Your skin is probably just sensative. A dermatologist can help you find products that work for your skin type. I use Wet and Wild sensative skin facial soap and Benzaclyn (the pump kind).Is it possible to be allergic to benzoyl peroxide?
No, you are not allergic to benzoyl peroxide. The problem with BP (and all the other chemicals used in acne products) is that it damages the skin. BP has similar effect on the skin as unprotected sun exposure. It creates free radicals that damage the skin and causes redness and peeling.





The only way to protect against damage is to have enough antioxidants. The best way is to get them from food (read: plenty of fruits and vegetables). Some skin care products also have antioxidants, but I'm not sure how effective they are.





Acne needs to be treated from the inside-out. Using topical treatments is a temporary solution at best. At worst it damages the skin and makes acne much worse.
I used Proactiv a long time ago and got mixed result. My acne went away alright. But my skin would be really red in the morning from the repairing lotion. I tried using just the cleanser and the toner. The redness, however, didn't totally disappear. So I think you can definitely be allergic to benzoyl peroxide. I stopped using Proactiv and started to eat more veggies and fruits. I still get acne every now and then, but I notice that they only show up when I go to sleep really late. But if your acne is really bad, you probably should see a dermatologist.
All OTC acne medications have benzoyl peroxide,they are not considered medication but cosmetics. That's why there is hardly any difference between them,except price.They can cause all sorts of skin irritations. You can try using a !% hydrocotisone cream to alleviate the redness from the acne cream.Many doctors use this combination . But seeing your MD or Dermatologist would be better. There is also info at webmd. Take care. SW RNP
u should go to a dermatoglogist. there's bound be an acne fighting product without benzoyl peroxide. dont worry, i have acne problems also and i finally settled with proactiv. thank god it works. im pretty sure its a teenage thing for most cases. u'll find something.





Edit:


i almost forgot ur orignal question, yes, its possible to be allergice to benzoyl peroxide
From personal experience, I do believe it's possible to be allergic to benzoyl peroxide. When I use it, it makes my skin turn red and swell, and then peel. (I tried lower concentrations: 10%, 5%, 2%, 1%... it all is the same.) It's too bad that I'm allergic, because for a time period I was not, and it helped clear the acne really well.





Use salcylic acid-based acne treatment like Clearasil adult acne cream, and many cleaners have that ingredient in there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
military loans